Friday, June 29, 2012

Day #5: 7 Miles and Ruminating

One of the beautiful things about running is simply forgetting.

That's right.  Forgetting.  Thinking about absolutely nothing.  Just doing.  Just running and moving.

I began my running career my Freshman year in Mark Keppel High School.  I signed up at the end of the 8th grade because my friends said they'd join.  Plus, the name was CROSS COUNTRY-XC.

I mean, how badass does that sound?  PRETTY BADASS.

I made great friends.  Especially a best friend, Ms. Lam.  But then I moved to Texas.  And I kept running.

Because it was the only thing that remained continuous within my life at that time.  Of course, my family was still with me, but running kept me connected to my friends in California.  Back at home--before Texas became my home.

I would wake up at 5 AM every morning the Summer after my Sophomore year (the same year I moved to Texas)--and I knew no one.  I ran to think about my feelings.  Sort through them.

And, in the middle of the run, forget them.  My feelings.  My disappointment.  My past.


Or maybe I fell in love with running because it's fundamentally what I do: run.

From what?  I don't know.  I think I know, but I prefer to forget.

MILEAGE: 7 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment